so•ca is Where Your Brunch Dreams Come True

Yesterday, I met up with one of my North Carolina darlings for what turned out to be the dreamiest brunch date. Danae and I had never been to so•ca and we went without any preconceived notions. Our server Jessica told us that their name so•ca signify South of the Tropic of Cancer. The inspiration for the menu is focused on the geographic region just south of the Tropic of Cancer. We nibbled on a yuca stuffed bread with pickled onions while we pored over the menu.

Our brunch spread was perfect.

Carne y Huevos; hanger steak, garlic roasted fingerling potatoes,
fried local egg, red pepper hollandaise, bitter greens,
cilantro vinaigrette; $18

The classic steak and eggs had a unique cilantro vinaigrette that you'd like to just lick off the plate. Steak is cooked the way you want it and I hope you go with medium rare!

Crab Stuffed Avocado jumbo lump crab,
preserved tomato, onion, peas, cilantro aioli, choclo, local radish; $12

The crab stuffed avocado was such a cooling appetizer. In my mind, you can't go wrong with avocado or crab, but the star of this dish, surprisingly, was that preserved tomato. Pickled and delightful. I've never had anything like it before!

Pork Belly Benedict; white corn arepa, avocado hollandaise,
slow poached eggs, chicharrón, tomato; $14

If there's pork belly on the menu, it is very likely I'll order it. This Pork Belly Benedict was such a decadent way to start my Saturday. I felt so relaxed and happily subdued as I scooped up the creamy yolk with each bite of my seared pork belly. The pork belly was crispy on the outside and juicy in the middle, just how I like it. The chicharrón gave the dish a nice crunchy contrast.

Tres Leches; milk soaked sponge cake, lemon curd,
blackberry yogurt, baked meringue cookies, mango ice cream,
kiwi gel, whipped cream; $10

We were debating between ordering the Churro Waffles, which was another brunch entrée as the dessert, or the Tres Leches which was available as a dessert all day. Tres Leches won out and what a beautiful choice we made! When the gorgeous plate came out, I was reminded that the talented Pastry Chef Brittany Grantham is the Pastry Director of so•ca. I've experienced her works of art at another Raleigh restaurant gem, bu•ku. Every component was delightful on its own and even better in combinations with each other. That mango icecream though. We agreed we could order just the mango icecream in a bucket and be very happy.

So that concludes my first impression of the wonderful so•ca. I can't wait to check out their dinners! Word has it that on Tuesdays from 5 – 7 pm they have complimentary wine tastings with half-price bottle night! Wine discussions are lead by their wine director Troy Revell.

so•ca

2130 Clark Ave
Raleigh, NC 27605
http://socaraleigh.com

Questions: So tell me, friends. What are your favorite brunch items? How do you like your eggs

Follow my eating adventures and happenings on Instagram. You can also see what is catching my attention in the food world on Twitter and Facebook.

The post so•ca is Where Your Brunch Dreams Come True appeared first on Girl Eats World.

No comments:

Post a Comment